While you’re in Kosovo, why not learn to cook delicious Albanian food? Use the fresh local ingredients! The following recipe makes a very pretty, hearty dish and it is so easy to make. There is no picture because it was eaten so quickly. Next time I make it, I will post a pic!
-6-8 red peppers (hot or sweet or mixed, depending on your taste)
-1 container (500 ml) vegetal cream, such as Halta or Hopla
-1 small container (180 ml) sour cream, such as Schmand
-Salt to taste
-Drizzle of olive oil
-Fresh parsley (optional)
-Bread (to serve with it)
1. Heat the oven to 450 F. Wash off the peppers. Stick them on a baking sheet (whole) in the oven and drizzle them in a little olive oil. Watch for the skin to turn just slightly brown and bubble up, letting them roast around 20-30 minutes.
2. Get a big bowl of water. When the peppers are done, drop them into the bowl of water whole. Then pick each one out separately and peel the skin off. It comes right off! Take the stems and the seeds out. You are left with roasted red pepper fillets.
3. In a sautee pan on the stove over medium heat, heat some olive oil in a pan–just a few tablespoons. Salt the peppers to taste and lay them in the oil, letting them infuse their flavor.
4. After a few minutes, add your creams. Add most of both containers, mixing vegetal and sour cream. Let the pepper/cream mixture simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and put on the table with a loaf of fresh, crusty bread from your local bakery. Voila!
Rip off chunks of the bread and scoop up creamy pepper pieces with it.
Thanks very much to Lena Ukaj for this amazing recipe!