What a delicious and easy recipe! Pitalka goes well with any meal, especially with peppers in cream.
1 package dry instant yeast (“suvi kvasac,” 7 g – package is about the size of a business card)
1 cup warm water
3 – 4 cups flour (divided)
1 tsp of salt
1. Use water that is very warm, but not boiling. Pour the water into a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for about 5 minutes; the yeast will foam up a bit.
2. Add in the salt and about 2.5 cups of flour to start, stirring until a dough starts to form. Start kneading on a liberally floured surface and work in as much flour as possible into the dough, until the dough gets stiff. Form the dough into a ball and put it in the bowl. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it sit in a warm place for 45 minutes so the dough can rise.
3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and form into two flat rounds, about 8-10″ in diameter. Again, cover the dough and let rise for about 20 minutes so they will puff up. Preheat the oven at this time to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Bake your bread on the center rack for about 10 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
5. Enjoy your fluffy and delicious pitalka!